Betterment for middle-income Americans, co-founded by Shark Tank celebrity Kevin O’Leary. Has 3000 downloads, $32k in revenue for all of 2019, and is claiming $15M valuation. Uncertain what the differentiation is.
Interested in startup investing? Subscribe to my premium newsletter, Startup Investing, to receive weekly content, exclusively tailored to accompany investors in their venture journey.
- Lack of Differentiation: Besides targeting Americans making $60k-$70k, I’m not seeing much differentiation here.
- Timing: I feel the great robo-advisor wars started half a decade ago.
- Valuation: Not convinced that a company can be worth $15MM just with brand name, 3k downloads, and little to no revenue.
The 6 Calacanis Characteristics (91 161 18)
|1. A startup that is based in SV||No: Boston, MA|
|2. Has at least 2 founders||Yes: 2|
|3. Has product in the market||Yes|
|4. 6 months of continuous user growth or 6 months of revenue.||No: I don’t there are any app-based subscription fees, given that 3000 downloads would be making $15k MRR which is not happening.|
|5. Notable investors?||No: Only Kevin O’Leary who is co-founder.|
|6. Post-funding, will have 18 months of runway||Yes: 2019 burn was $23, so easily will have 18 months|
The 7 Thiel Questions (ETMPDDS)
- The Engineering question:
- Bad: identical to competitors
- The Timing question:
- Bad: Unconvinced this fight is still happening in 2020.
- The monopoly question:
- Sure: Could scale fast, but realistically look at all the other robo-advisors.
- The people question:
- Good Not Great: No one on payroll means the team isn’t full-time/isn’t very big yet.
- The distribution question:
- Bad: O’Leary helps on marketing but CAC will still be high.
- The durability question:
- Good: Once people join a robo-advisor, I don’t think it’s likely they hop month to month.
- *What is the hopeful secret?:
- Charging a fixed fee model for customers making $60k-$70k is a super business model.
What has to go right for the startup to return money on investment:
What the Risks Are
Muhan’s Bonus Notes
Found this hysterical compilation of O’Leary’s moments on Shark Tank, but can’t find parts 1-3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOurt19fP28
- Current Fundraised: $940k
- Valuation: ~$15MM
This is where I’ll post updates about the company. This way all my notes from offering to post-offering updates will be on one page.